What is HOP Into Your Future?
HOP Into Your Future is an exciting new programme for young people who are:
- Aged 16-25
- Not in education, employment or training
- Have learning difficulties and/or disabilities and had an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) when they were at school or college
- Hertfordshire residents and eligible to work in the UK
Full suitability and eligibility criteria will be discussed when you contact us or make a referral. Please see below for how to get in touch with us about this programme.
What is involved?
- Up to 12 hours of work tasters, tailored to the young person's areas of interest
- The opportunity to access a 70-hour work experience placement following a taster session
- An allocated Supported Employment Adviser to ensure a successful placement
- The opportunity for the 70-hour placement to be converted into an employment trial or apprenticeship
- The chance to develop knowledge and employability skills in a real work environment
Employability skills are important for doing well in any job and employers look for them during job interviews.
The skills include things like being motivated, taking initiative, being reliable, organised and adaptable. They also involve being able to communicate and work well with others as part of a team.
Where is the programme delivered?
The programme is being delivered across Hertfordshire. Initial support is provided by Services for Young People Advisers either face-to-face or virtually, followed by placements in the workplace.
From the Manager at Radlett Library to a Supported Employment Adviser in the SfYP SEND Team regarding a work experience placement as part of the HOP Into Your Future programme
“We organised some days where the young person could come in and see, not only how our library works, but also what it’s like to be in employment. I am happy to say that he has been excellent, helping us out with a lot of daily tasks, assisting with our displays, weekly events, and the Summer Reading Challenge... We are now moving him onto a 70-hour placement, where hopefully he will gain some valuable knowledge that will go on to help him in future work roles. It has been a great experience for all involved, and I cannot recommend the HOP scheme highly enough… We hope that we can help many more people in future .”
Young people can visit their local SfYP young people's centre or complete this form and we'll get in touch:
We ask for this information so we can contact you.
To find out how we look after your personal data please read our Data Protection information.
Refer a young person to the HOP Into Your Future programme
Parents/carers and professionals who work with young people can refer a young person to the programme either by completing the above form or by completing the HOP Into Your Future referral form and emailing it to HOPIntoYourFuture@hertfordshire.gov.uk.