If you are 16 to 19 and live in Hertfordshire Services for Young People can help you...
- Search for current jobs and apprenticeship opportunities - register for a young job seekers' account
- In person at one of our Access Points or call us on 01438 844766 or text 07860 022898 for advice about job hunting, CV tips and to receive alerts and text messages about vacancies
- By following us on Twitter
Job hunting advice...
Check your contact details - if you have a mobile, Facebook page or e-mail address, make sure it is suitable for employers to see or hear. Listen to your voicemail message and check your email address - will an employer find them business-like and sensible or do you want a new e-mail address for job searching?
Use the internet: there are lots of jobs websites and many companies only advertise on their websites. Check the jobs section on websites of local papers in your area, and look at our list of suitable websites - Where to find job vacancies
Use social networking sites: such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, to help with your job search; track down and research companies and individuals.
- Ensure your profile is professional
- Select 10-15 employers/companies that you are interested in
Local employment agencies may have vacancies suitable for young people. Your nearest SfYP Access Point will have details of the agencies.
Check out our links to National Employers: These employers all have schemes for school leavers in and around Hertfordshire.
If you know the type of employment you want, use directories or website searches to get a local list of employers so you can send or take them a copy of your CV. You might be lucky and be considered for a job that has not been advertised yet.
Also register on www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship for apprenticeship vacancies.
If you would like to talk to someone and get help with your job search call into your nearest SfYP Access Point.
When to start looking
Some employers advertise apprenticeships nearly a year in advance, others recruit as and when someone leaves. So keep looking, check websites and papers regularly and register for updates to be sent to you.
Young people can register for an account on our website to...
- Receive tailored information, such as job details, apprenticeship and further education opportunities, including how to apply
- Receive hints on your job searching and how we can further support you
- Be matched to suitable vacancies or opportunities
- Access our CV builder to create a new look CV to help you get a job.
You can use the site on tablets and mobiles so why not add a shortcut to your home screen for faster browsing.
Register for an account here