Can you or your business offer a work experience placement to a local young person?
Each year, thousands of businesses across Hertfordshire offer students invaluable work experience.
By offering a work experience placement to a young person, employers are giving them an insight into the world of work and what employers expect of them. The young people gain a variety of essential new skills and the experience will help them with their career and education choices. The experience can go onto the young person's CV, university application or be discussed at a job interview, giving them a better chance of securing a job in the future.
It is also an opportunity for employers to directly influence the future workforce by helping young people gain important 'employability skills' for working life.
You will be fully supported by Services for Young People staff at every stage.
How would your business benefit?
The benefits to students are far-reaching but there are also many benefits to your organisation:
- the student provides help with real tasks – many young people are highly IT competent and capable of administration/office tasks, project work and, under supervision, can assist with manual and practical activities
- your employees can build their supervisory and leadership skills, while sharing their knowledge and expertise with young people
- the placement provides a real insight into your business – you get to understand how young people view your business and learn from them if your marketing messages are well received and understood
- you will be giving back to your local community and shaping the future workforce
- it's an opportunity to promote a positive profile of your business to your employees of tomorrow
- you may even find your next new employee.
Feedback from employers who have supported work experience in the past indicates how rewarding it can be to know that you have helped a young person understand the world of work, develop skills, clarify their career ideas and raise their aspirations.
From the Head of Legal and Democratic Services and Monitoring Officer at East Herts District Council to the SfYP LDD Team regarding the My Future Project
“It has been a pleasure providing work experience for a young person here at East Herts… A supportive work experience placement can help individuals develop transferable skills, understand how organisations work, build confidence, and confirm or decide on a young person’s chosen career path… easing young people into [the world of work] gradually is a fantastic way of helping to soften that transition.”
Click on the links to the left to find out more about different types of work experience and about Link2+ the Services for Young People employer database and online booking system.
Please register your interest in offering any type of work experience on our Employer Contact Form.